Monday, August 23, 2004

Most successful comtech graduate...

Ok. I got this from one of the �friendster� groupies that�s been so prevalent in there. I just had to react, since I myself am a ComTech graduate. In case you�re not familiar with the course, its full course name is Management of/in Communications Technology (actually I�m not sure if it�s �of� or �in� � but �of� sounds more appropriate) Anyway, ComTech is actually a mixture of Management/Marketing, Computer Science and Communication Arts, so you can just imagine the diversity of the classes involved. But like any given multi-major course, you get to pick what you�d like to focus on eventually.

Below is the bulletin board post of the moderator of the group.

Message: After a long period of silence I think it�s about time we sparked up the Comtech connection once again.

For the alumni, and the students for that matter, here's a question...

Who do you think is the most successful comtech graduate/student. It doesn't have to be in financial terms. Any notable achievements count.

Let's get to know our coursemates, and see what our course can do for us.

My first vote:

1. Andro Atienza (2004) - fresh grad, works for
FHM events. nuff said. Chickster talaga.


This is what I said in response.

I don't know if I'd like to agree with you, kasi you have to look at it in a number of perspectives:

Like is he earning a lot? Is he the one in charge of the event planning itself? Is that what he'd really like to do for the rest of his life? Does he have a girlfriend na pang-FHM or wala?

You know success depends on so many factors, and it differs from person to person. I would consider my batchmates who've gone into advertising and who've built their own companies to be successful. They may not be well known, but the fact that they used their pagiging-ComTech to attain their goals is in itself already a measure of success.

I mean, just because kilala yung FHM for hosting these wild events doesn't mean this guy's already made it big time. Truth be told, maliit lang ang pay sa mga magazines as a writer or graphic designer compared to, say, working as sales or marketing for a multi-national company.

So vote if you guys want. But in all honesty, you cannot measure a successful ComTech graduate on his career choice alone. Peace!


I guess that being said, I would like to consider a couple of my batchmates to be quite successful. One of those guys is Mike V. who actually took his thesis (which was a graphic and web design company) and brought it to life!

Not many people can accomplish that! You may not be with the �hip� crowd over at FHM, but you know exactly where the stuff you learned over the years went, and put it to good use. Now that�s a good measure for success.

Of course those other things go hand in hand, but seriously, would you measure success that way as well? Maybe, maybe not. One thing I do know� astig and ComTech! =D

5 comments:

  1. You might also want to consider Kris David (Comtech 99) as a successful alum. He's running one of the top events and production company in the country, CTV - Corporate Television.

    :)

    check mo site namin! www.madbanana.tv

    peace!

    joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. See? Dami agad mag-co-comment! I'll be sure to forward your nomination to these dudes... hehehe... maybe set the record straight right? =D

    Just finished checking out your site and DAMN! I am impressed with the Demo! Makes me with I had more time and money to work on ours... hehehehe. But my production outfits already defunct now... sayang nga eh, just when we were already getting out bearings straight. Mahirap talga 'tong business na 'to... especially when you have competition like Mad Banana...=P

    Now I know why we didn't get that many projects... hehehehe!

    P.S. I hope I'm not insulting you, but I take it you're "the big one"? Is Erwin "the dark one" perchance? =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha... yeah, am the big one... and erwin's the dark one. alan didn't want to put names don sa history eh. hahaha. wala namang competition ang production company mo with mad banana.... this year lang kami dito sa pilipinas. for the past two years, sa states yon. :)

    and people in the industry shouldn't see each other as competition (unless you are referring to the friendly kind). it's a small community with a big market. there's enough for everyone.
    :)

    joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehehe.. astig! Pero sa totoo lang, with all that under your belt... whew! =D

    If you need referrals I can always help, marami ako kakilala after all these years in the biz, kahit small time =P

    Or if you've got cheapy-cheapy projects you wanna get rid of... we're usually available! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe i can nominate my sister for the sake of being nominated hehe.. well she is a graduate of ComTech as well. her first job was in Intel, account executive or something then she transfered to HP, as marketing manager and recently, got pirated to work for Globe Platinum, as senior product manager. =D

    ReplyDelete